Working for Avenue is an opportunity to be part of a friendly, committed team. While we have a variety of skills, we work towards the same goals: to provide a rights-respecting, person-centred, effective service to families and individuals. We aim to strengthen relationships and increase wellbeing and resilience for everyone.
Avenue is an equal opportunities employer. We offer an ongoing programme of training and development opportunities to our team. Our team is made up of a mix of employed staff, freelance practitioners and volunteers, so are able to offer a range of opportunities. Where PVGs are required for a post, Avenue pays for all applications and scheme updates.
We are currently recruiting for the following vacancies;
Treasurer and Trustee (Voluntary role)
The Board of Avenue is seeking a professional in the area of finance, business or accounting who would have the skills to monitor the financial position of the charity and provide reliable advice in terms of financial risk, business strategy and enterprise developments going forward.
Avenue supports children’s rights. We believe that children have a right to a family, as well as a right to have a voice in the decisions that affect their lives. We believe that everybody has individual needs and that, wherever possible, interventions should be tailored to those needs.
We recognise that families come in many different forms, shapes and sizes, and are committed to helping all family members to sustain healthy relationships with each other and their children.
Avenue supports people in Aberdeen city and shire, and Morayshire. It occupies two sites and has a large team offering a range of expertise. Some of the team have lived experience of the challenges that individuals and families are facing with Avenue’s support and intervention.
As a charity, Avenue has a Board of Trustees who oversee our work. Trustees are responsible for setting the strategy and ensuring that Avenue is working both within the law and our charitable objects. Our Trustees are volunteers from a range of backgrounds who bring their expertise and support to Avenue. They meet formally and line-manage the CEO, who has overall operational responsibility for Avenue. The CEO is supported by the senior leadership team who all have key areas of responsibility but work together to ensure that Avenue is providing the best service possible to families and individuals.
Currently the Board of Trustees meet four times a year, normally for two hours in the evening. There is an AGM once a year. Whilst the Treasurer is not responsible for the accounts administration or independent examination, their role is nonetheless critical to both compliance and viability. They monitor Avenues’s financial performance, review the accounts, and participate in the overall strategic planning including management of risk. They work with the CEO and the officers in the promulgation of reports. They consult closely with the chair to provide advice and clarity of the financial performance of Avenue to the Trustees with the aim of ensuring the sustainability of the charity for the long term.
- To ensure that the finances of the organisation are properly handled in accordance with the organisation’s objectives.
- To ensure that the organisation has practicable written financial procedures that are adhered to in practice.
- To help shape the overall financial direction and development of Avenue through good governance and clear strategic planning.
- To assist the chair to engage with Trustees in achieving the objectives of the strategic planand participate in Board project subgroups as required..
- To monitor the adequacy of financial recording and controls in use by the CEO and staff and to see that the CEO has the accounts indepently audited or examined by a competent person.
- To make brief reports for the Trustees board meetings and to present the year-end Financial Report at the Annual General Meeting to Trustees.
- To support the CEO in financial planning and production of budgets. In cooperation with the CEO and chair, monitor performance against budgets and assist in determining any necessary remedial actions.
Experience and Capabilities
- Have experience working in a finance-based role as an accountant, financial controller, financial director or similar
- Be qualified or part qualified in relevant professional requirements
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
In addition to the above it will be desirable to have or acquire:
A working knowledge of the Scottish Governance Code for the third sector, relevant statutory provisions and good governance structures
An understanding of the financial challenges to viability confronting charities
A working knowledge of Avenue’s systems and Articles of Association
Time commitment and location
- Meeting usually 3 times a year plus the AGM.
- Preparing papers for the Trustees to be issued two weeks before the meeting.
- Acting as member of ad hoc sub-committees
- Meeting with the chair and CEO prior to the Trustee meetings and once financial papers are completed for a review and short discussion.
- Giving, under normal conditions, around 3-4 hours per month to Avenue
This is a voluntary position.
To apply, please email your CV and a brief covering letter to Avenue’s chair, Taf Powell on email@example.com
Please contact Taf if you wish to discuss any aspect of the role.
As Avenue continues to grow and to meet the increasing demand of our service, we are looking for Trustees to join our existing Board, providing leadership and direction for Avenue.
The Board’s role is to secure Avenue’s long-term sustainability, to oversee the legal, financial and operational management of Avenue, and to ensure it meets the charitable aims set out in its constitution. As a trustee, you will share formal responsibility for the charity and must act in its best interests, regardless of how you are elected or appointed.
We are particularly looking for Trustees with the following knowledge and expertise: Charity Governance; Safeguarding and Child Protection; Fundraising; Marketing and Promotion; Social Care and Health (in particular Mental Health).
For an informal conversation, please contact Avenue’s CEO, Cliff Watt, via our Aberdeen office.
Closing date: Ongoing
Avenue Trustee (Role Description)